Are you experiencing the "three D's" at your current school, service system? i.e.
* Different (not one of us);
* Disconnected (not part of our communities or culture);
* Dependent (kept or managed)
or are experiencing the "three I's",
* Individual (like you and me);
* Included (like you and me);
* Interdependent (like you and me).
"Self-determination is, at its core, designed to shatter societal perceptions and acceptance of the three D's about persons with disabilities through relentless advocacy efforts that promote realization of the three I's. Self-determination is a human rights and a civil rights issue. "
from the self determination course at Cornell University.